Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Please note that we - the Docear team - will not answer support questions. If you need help, please read the manual, read the FAQ, or discuss here in the forum with other Docear users.

When reporting bugs, or asking questions, please be as specific as possible. Name your operating system (e.g. Windows 7, 64 Bit), your JAVA version (e.g. Java 6, 32 Bit), whether you are using the latest Docear version, and provide step-by-step instructions that allow to reproduce the bug or problem you are reporting. Feel free to upload screenshots.

Due to spammers and the new European GDPR initiative, we decided to deactivate user registrations. This means, only users with an existing account will be able to post in the forum. We are sorry for this but see no other way.
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tiny fonts in GUI / High-dpi scaling issue
Clairvaux
Post Tiny fonts in GUI / High-dpi scaling issue
on: October 9, 2016, 04:06

Hi,

I would like to know if a workaround has been devised (or planned) for the already mentioned issue of the user interface being unreadable, because of extremely small fonts in some areas of the screen, on some configurations.

I am aware that Joeran from Docear said in 2015 :

I am afraid that we won't have time to implement high-dpi-scaling anytime soon, because it would be a major project requiering lots of time, which we don't have

http://www.docear.org/support/forums/docear-support-forums-group3/general-feedback-questions-forum5/supporting-high-dpi-display-javafx-dpi-scaling-thread1292/

And Stefan from Docear said in 2014 :

You only have two options to improve the situation, although neither of them is a real solution.

http://www.docear.org/support/forums/docear-support-forums-group3/general-feedback-questions-forum5/font-size-in-docear-menus-thread1028/

However, since there does seem to be a number of people using Docear, I would like to ask : on what configuration does that problem not occur ? Because I think mine is quite standard for this type of work. Or is it that users put up with those tiny fonts ?

To be more specific, here is the precise description of my problem, and the results of my mostly failed attempts at remediation.

My PC : Windows 7, 64-bit. Native screen resolution : 1920 x 1200, 24 inches. Custom dpi setting : 150 % (at 100 %, all software are unusable because of a way too tiny GUI). Use Windows XP-style dpi scaling = Yes.

Docear and Java : up-to-date versions.

Extremely small fonts in the ribbon on top of the screen can be adjusted to a more readable size by selecting the Windows, Windows Classic or Default theme in Preferences / Environment / Look and Feel.

The Nimbus and DCE/Motif themes are unusable because of that (and other appearance defaults). The Metal theme is slightly better, because it has a bold font in the ribbon (but it's as tiny).

Use of the Windows theme makes the Docear interface tolerably usable in the ribbon. However, fonts are still unbearably small in the following places (there might be others ; I haven't researched deeper for obvious reasons):

• Left panel : Local Workspace. This can still be read. Sort of.
  • Right panel : Format, References and some parts of Calendar and attributes are unreadable.
  • Lower panel : at least HTML Code View is unreadable.

The following workarounds have been tried and do not work :

• Uncheck Use Windows XP-style dpi scaling in Windows 7 Control Panel.
  • Check Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings in Properties / Compatibility of docear.exe.
  • Change Connectors Font Size from 9 to 20 (but I suppose this applies to the map, and not the menus).
  • Increase User Defined Screen Resolution to 200, according to Stefan's advice (this does not change the size of the fonts at all).
  • Lower the screen resolution from 1920 x 1200 to 1920 x 1080, according to Stefan's advice (this does not change the font size, but makes the screen unbearable to read by offsetting the pixels and turning black fonts into green fonts).

Is there something else I could try ? Many thanks, and congratulations for an (otherwise) seemingly very interesting software.

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that we - the Docear team - currently do not have the time to answer support questions. However, we encourage all Docear users to help each other.

Clairvaux
Post Re: Tiny fonts in GUI / High-dpi scaling issue
on: October 10, 2016, 03:10

Some more information on the subject. I have kicked the tires of Freeplane, on which Docear is based. Actually, judging from the outside, a large part of Docear is Freeplane.

Freeplane handles better this issue of exceedingly tiny fonts, because it has something Docear has not : a check-box Scale UI Fonts in its Preferences / Appearance menu.

Checking this box activates the field User Defined Screen Resolution (dpi). Typing there a figure larger than the standard 96 enlarges the fonts of the menu and the dialog boxes. If you leave Scale UI Fonts unchecked, you can still type a figure for the screen resolution, but it will not change the default.

I guess this is the reason why changing the default 96 in Docear has no effect, at least in my testing. Docear seems to lack the code to scale UI fonts, but has kept the field to change screen resolution. I have not found any difference when checking or unchecking Docear's box Apply System Screen Resolution Default. This does not seem to do anything. You can check this box, and still type a non-default figure in the resolution field, which should not be possible.

In Freeplane, I have found that the best compromise, on my PC, was a dpi setting of 100 to 105, instead of the standard 96. This does not have any effect on the menu icons which stay extremely small, however it does increase the font size in the legends which pop-up when you hover the mouse over the icons. It's not perfect, but it helps.

However the right and bottom panels of Freeplane have the same horrendously tiny fonts as Docear-s, and the dpi setting does not change anything there.

What I don-t get is why Docear is not at least as good as Freeplane in that respect, since it is based on it.

Edit : I wanted to upload a few screenshots I had preapred to make this more clear, but this forum sofwtare is incredibly user-hostile. It seems you can't upload files while editing, and you can-t either upload files while answering to yourself. So I'll let it at that. No preview function. Inserts unwanted slashes. 😮

schuifpui
on: April 24, 2017, 16:47

hi,

I just got lucky and found a workaround in Windows 10.

I am using the latest update ("Creators Update") and I am not sure whether this also works on Earlier Windows 10 versions.

- right-click on the Docear tile in the start menu
- select More > Open file location
- right-clock Docear shortcut in the new Windows Explorer window
- select Properties
- select Compatibility tab
- in Settings, tick "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
- in "Scaling performed by:" select "System"

Done 🙂

faberglas
on: September 30, 2017, 05:35

Thanks - this was a quick fix for my Windows 10 HD screen.

letitburn
on: October 29, 2017, 16:55

Wow! you are a lifesaver!! I just spent several hours trying to fix this, and I was about to try to figure out a new software manager. Thank you!

letitburn
on: October 29, 2017, 16:55

Wow! you are a lifesaver!! I just spent several hours trying to fix this, and I was about to try to figure out a new software manager. Thank you!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.142 seconds.