Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Please note that we - the Docear team - will not answer support questions. If you need help, please read the manual, read the FAQ, or discuss here in the forum with other Docear users.

When reporting bugs, or asking questions, please be as specific as possible. Name your operating system (e.g. Windows 7, 64 Bit), your JAVA version (e.g. Java 6, 32 Bit), whether you are using the latest Docear version, and provide step-by-step instructions that allow to reproduce the bug or problem you are reporting. Feel free to upload screenshots.

Due to spammers and the new European GDPR initiative, we decided to deactivate user registrations. This means, only users with an existing account will be able to post in the forum. We are sorry for this but see no other way.
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Docear4word wont install
Azhar Rauf
Beginner
Post Docear4word wont install
on: September 27, 2014, 03:34

I'm using Docear 1.1.1 beta build239 (docear_version.png) and MS Word 2007.

I downloaded the latest version of Docear4word 1.30. Ran and installed it. When I go to the Add-Ins tab in Word, I don't see any toolbar command for Docear.

When I go to Word Options -> Add-Ins, I do see the Add-In is added as a COM add-in. When I go to the COM Add-ins dialog, I see Docear4word is available, checked and the Load Behavior is "Load at startup" (COM_Add-ins.png).

Why are Docear insertion commands not available in Word?

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that we - the Docear team - currently do not have the time to answer support questions. However, we encourage all Docear users to help each other.

Joeran-
[Docear]
Administrator
Post Re: Docear4word wont install
on: September 29, 2014, 11:30

several users had the same problems already and unfortunately we were not yet able to fix that problem. it seems as if it's a problem with the access rights. are you working in an office where you have not full access rights (administrator rights)?

could you please try the following: uninstall docear4word. then install an older version http://downloads.docear.org/docear4word/1.0/ and let me know if that version works.

Azhar Rauf
Beginner
on: October 2, 2014, 05:38

No, I don't work in an office without full access rights. I can launch an application with administrative rights whenever required.

I did as you suggested:
1. uninstall latest version of docear4word
2. install the older version as above
Even this doesn't work.

I feel bad about this whole situation because I have a Docear workshop coming up where I have to demo this software to a large group. Please see this entry: http://www.docear.org/support/forums/docear-support-forums-group3/general-feedback-questions-forum5/workshop-on-docear-thread1063/

Joeran-
[Docear]
Administrator
on: October 2, 2014, 13:08

I am really sorry, but we just don't have a clue how this can happen. As mentioned we cannot reproduce the problem, although we know that several users have the same problem.

I only have one more idea: Is any of the files relating to Docear4Word in a folder with special characters? Some of the default paths on English computers are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Docear4Word\
C:\ProgramData\Docear4Word\Styles\
C:\Users\<your windows username>\Documents\Docear4Word\

Does any of these paths contain special characters on your computer, i.e. non-English characters? In addition, you might also have a look at C:\Users\<your windows username>\Documents\Docear4Word\Docear4WordErrorLog.txt or send me the file to see if there are any errors.

Best,
Joeran

Azhar Rauf
Beginner
on: October 5, 2014, 10:24

Thanks Joeran for continuing to look at this problem. You may have a point about non-English characters. The laptop I'm using is actually of Hungarian origin (some keyboard characters are not where they would be in English keyboards). However, the path names seem correct enough as shown below:

C:\Program Files\Docear4Word
C:\ProgramData\Docear4Word\Styles
C:\Users\Azhar\Documents\Docear4Word (displays as C:\Users\Azhar\My Documents\Docear4Word, but picks up as shown)

I want to attach the error log file but don't see this in the "Quick Reply" options listed. Will try to send separately.

Also, even though I've checked the "Add this topic to your email notifications" I never receive any notification when you post a reply. That's why I manually go to the ticket page to see any updates time after time. This explains the delay in my response - otherwise I want to see this situation resolved ASAP. This seems to be another bug on the forums tool.

Thanks,
Azhar

Azhar Rauf
Beginner
on: October 5, 2014, 10:31

OK, here's the log file attached.

Azhar Rauf
Beginner
on: October 5, 2014, 10:34

Hmmm, didn't attach. Trying again.
http://www.docear.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ci4o1-Docear4WordErrorLog.zip

Azhar Rauf
Beginner
on: October 7, 2014, 06:33

Hi Joeran,
Because my work is now being seriously impacted due to the Docear4word issue (readings on hold, conference paper pending) I took some drastic steps this morning:

1) deleted the whole MS Office suite
2) deleted Docear4word
3) deleted EndNote 7
4) reinstalled only MS Word 2007 (not the whole suite) - completed successfully
5) downloaded and reinstalled Docear4word - completed successfully

Much to my horror, Docear4word still didn't install. I went to the log file as above expecting to find a newer log in today's date, but no, its the same old one dated Sep 25, 2014. This begs the question is Docear4word even trying to install (in the correct directory).

Now I'm at my wits end. Should I:
1) stop using Docear and move back to Mendeley?
2) continue using Docear but copy all required articles for writeup to Mendeley and use that for citations?
3) or what do you suggest?

I have spent several weeks on this issue and would like a closure. Please advise.

Thanks,
Azhar

Simon-
Hewitt
on: October 7, 2014, 07:11

Is Docear4Word visible on the References Tab rather than the Add-ins Tab?

Azhar Rauf
Beginner
on: October 7, 2014, 07:44

Lo and behold, Simon you saved the day (and Docear) from being trashed!

That was it, Docear4word integrated itself in the References tab and I was looking under Add-ins:-((

What threw me off are the instructions at the Docear4word installation page (http://www.docear.org/software/add-ons/docear4word/overview/). It says:

Docear4Word integrates itself in the “References” ribbon (MS Word 2010) or in the “Add-Ins” menu (MS Word 2007).

Since I'm using MS Word 2007, naturally I was looking in the wrong place. Please correct this sentence on your installation page.

Anyway, I'm a happy man. Case closed! And thanks again Simon and Joeran for your help.

Joeran-
[Docear]
Administrator
on: October 7, 2014, 15:16

sorry for the confusion. i updated the web page with the instructions.

MGM
on: July 19, 2016, 13:00

Quote from Joeran [Docear] on September 29, 2014, 11:30
several users had the same problems already and unfortunately we were not yet able to fix that problem. it seems as if it's a problem with the access rights. are you working in an office where you have not full access rights (administrator rights)?

could you please try the following: uninstall docear4word. then install an older version http://downloads.docear.org/docear4word/1.0/ and let me know if that version works.

The URL : (http://downloads.docear.org/docear4word/1.0/) is not available.

Thank !

Joeran-
[Docear]
Administrator
on: July 21, 2016, 02:09

The URL : (http://downloads.docear.org/docear4word/1.0/) is not available.

new URL http://docear.org/downloads/docear4word/v1.00/docear4word_setup.exe

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.12 seconds.