Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Please note that we - the Docear team - will not answer support questions. If you need help, please read the manual, read the FAQ, or discuss here in the forum with other Docear users.

When reporting bugs, or asking questions, please be as specific as possible. Name your operating system (e.g. Windows 7, 64 Bit), your JAVA version (e.g. Java 6, 32 Bit), whether you are using the latest Docear version, and provide step-by-step instructions that allow to reproduce the bug or problem you are reporting. Feel free to upload screenshots.

Due to spammers and the new European GDPR initiative, we decided to deactivate user registrations. This means, only users with an existing account will be able to post in the forum. We are sorry for this but see no other way.
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Docear wont start on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan
Damo
Post Docear wont start on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan
on: October 14, 2016, 04:45

After installing Docear by dragging the .app bundle into my Applications folder, I attempted to start Docear but the icon bounced in the dock once, and then disappeared.

After further investigation by running Docear on my Mac from the command line, I received the following error:

$ /Applications/Docear.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeplaneJavaApplicationStub
JavaVM: Failed to load JVM: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bundle/Libraries/libserver.dylib
JavaVM: Failed to load JVM: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bundle/Libraries/libserver.dylib
JavaVM FATAL: Failed to load the jvm library.
[JavaAppLauncher Error] JNI_CreateJavaVM() failed, error: -1

I've found a workaround to the problem, and just sharing here for others. Longer term, I think the stub used for the Mac version to start the application might need updating, as it has hardcoded paths to specific files some of which have since been renamed by Oracle.

Good luck to others.

Docear on macOS: Navigating the Apple Java Nightmare

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that we - the Docear team - currently do not have the time to answer support questions. However, we encourage all Docear users to help each other.

Michael
Post Re: Docear wont start on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan
on: January 12, 2017, 11:22

Hi Damo,

I am struggling with the same problem: Docear (1.2) would not start on El Capitan (10.11.4), using Java 1.8.0_77. (I just installed the JDK through dis- and enabling SIP before/afterwards, resp., a while ago, no other change of settings!)
I have tried both, the MacOSX, and the AllOS version, but to no avail. While the latter requests (legacy) Java SE 1.6 through a pop-up window, the former - launched by starting the shipped docear.sh script from the command line (I put applications that do not need installing into a special folder; my prompt has been altered to contain date/time) - yields the following error:

[526][1201-010319]*****@Michaels-Mini:~$ /Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/docear.MY.sh
Knopflerfish OSGi framework, version 4.1.10
Copyright 2003-2009 Knopflerfish. All Rights Reserved.

See http://www.knopflerfish.org for more information.
Loading xargs file /Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/props.xargs
Loading xargs file /Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/init.xargs
Installed and started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/core/org.freeplane.core (id#1)
User properties not found, new file created
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.bibtex (id#2)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.core (id#3)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.pdfutilities (id#4)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.services (id#5)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.bugreport (id#6)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.formula (id#7)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.latex (id#8)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.openmaps (id#9)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.script (id#10)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.svg (id#11)
Installed: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.workspace (id#12)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.bibtex (id#2)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.core (id#3)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.pdfutilities (id#4)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.docear.plugin.services (id#5)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.bugreport (id#6)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.formula (id#7)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.latex (id#8)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.openmaps (id#9)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.script (id#10)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.svg (id#11)
Started: reference:file:/Applications_MY/docear-1.2.0.0_stable_build291/plugins/org.freeplane.plugin.workspace (id#12)
Jan 12, 2017 1:03:27 AM org.freeplane.core.util.LogUtils info
INFO: language resources for en found
Uncaught error fetching image:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.getDecoder(InputStreamImageSource.java:214)
	at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getDecoder(URLImageSource.java:159)
	at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:263)
	at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:205)
	at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:169)
^C[527][1201-010334]*****@Michaels-Mini:~$

After realising the problem I tried your steps (hard link), and also the slightly altered one given by Oliver Dowling (oliverdowling.com.au/2015/10/09/oracles-jdk-8-on-mac-os-x-el-capitan/; I think there is a command missing in your list: cd Library ...). Either way, still the exact same error (see above)!

It looks to me like Java might be alright but that Knopfler thing or something else that is used in that call is the culprit (it all happens when the last Java command is issued):

\"${JAVACMD}\" -Xmx512m\\
 \"-Dorg.freeplane.param1=$1\"\\
 \"-Dorg.freeplane.param2=$2\"\\
 \"-Dorg.freeplane.param3=$3\"\\
 \"-Dorg.freeplane.param4=$4\"\\
 \"-Dorg.knopflerfish.framework.bundlestorage=memory\"\\
 \"-Dorg.freeplane.globalresourcedir=${freedir}/resources\"\\
 \"-Dorg.knopflerfish.gosg.jars=reference:file:${freedir}/core/\"\\
 $defines\\
 $xdockname\\
 -jar \"${freedir}/framework.jar\"\\
 -xargs \"${freedir}/props.xargs\"\\
 -xargs \"${freedir}/init.xargs\"

There was also a recognised problem in Freeplane (from its changelog):

===============================
Make Javascript scripts available with Java 1.8
Use oracle appbundler and universalJavaApplicationStub.sh for MacOS
Update knopflerfish due to problems with Java 1.8 on MacOS

and one can see that there might be other compatibility issues regarding Java 8 - I have not investigated into that, nor have I applied verbose mode or debug or so to the call in question.

But then, it works for you, so ... (what exact Java version do you use?) ...

Kind regards,
Michael

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.