Forums

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Please note that we - the Docear team - will not answer support questions. If you need help, please read the manual, read the FAQ, or discuss here in the forum with other Docear users.

When reporting bugs, or asking questions, please be as specific as possible. Name your operating system (e.g. Windows 7, 64 Bit), your JAVA version (e.g. Java 6, 32 Bit), whether you are using the latest Docear version, and provide step-by-step instructions that allow to reproduce the bug or problem you are reporting. Feel free to upload screenshots.

Due to spammers and the new European GDPR initiative, we decided to deactivate user registrations. This means, only users with an existing account will be able to post in the forum. We are sorry for this but see no other way.
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Docear under OS X 10.10 Yosemite
Christoph--
Post Docear under OS X 10.10 Yosemite
on: October 21, 2014, 21:50

After upgrading to the newest OS X 10.10 I could not get Docear to run, it kept saying:
To open โ€œDocearโ€ you need to install the legacy Javaย SEย 6 runtime.
Since I already have Java 8u25 installed (OS X 64bit) I am hesitant to add another, potentially conflicting, version of Java.
Is it really necessary or is the source of the problem something else entirely?

Thanks
Christoph

PS: I forgot to add that I tried following the recommendations on this page:
http://www.docear.org/faqs/os-x-shows-a-bad-signature-for-docear-what-can-i-do/

but without success. Typing "sudo spctl --list | grep Docear" in a Terminal does not return any result.

Thank you for your feedback. Please note that we - the Docear team - currently do not have the time to answer support questions. However, we encourage all Docear users to help each other.

danher
Post Re: Docear under OS X 10.10 Yosemite
on: October 27, 2014, 17:42

I had the same problem and tried several suggestions from a google search to have the predetermined structure from Apple's "Java of OS X" point to the Oracle Java 8u25 without success.
I ended up installing Java for OS X 2014-001 from http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572 in addition to Oracle Java 8u25 and making sure that the browser plug-in usage is disabled as this is where the potentially unsafe older Java version may cause harm.
Of course, it would be neater, if the Docear authors would update their program to use Oracle's structure.

Joeran-
[Docear]
Administrator
on: October 31, 2014, 12:50

Of course, it would be neater, if the Docear authors would update their program to use Oracle's structure.

Generally, we would love if Docear was running more smoothly on Mac OS. However, since we don't have a Mac, we often cannot reproduce problems, or test Docear for Mac before we release a new version. In addition, to be honest, we are a little bit fed up by Mac OS, because Apple is quite restrictive and doesn't make it easy to release software for Mac OS (unless one pays money to get a certificate, the latest Mac OS versions seem to try to prevent users from installing software like Docear that is from an "unsecure" developer).

sole
on: November 18, 2014, 12:57

I have the same problem and I was so enthusiastic about using Docear... ๐Ÿ™

Joeran-
[Docear]
Administrator
on: December 2, 2014, 19:27

I am really sorry that Docear is not working. Here is some information what the problem is on Yosemite
http://www.docear.org/faqs/os-x-shows-a-bad-signature-for-docear-what-can-i-do/

woolz
on: January 5, 2015, 19:04

Got the same Java notice.
The thing is that apple had their own version of Java until Java 6 and until Mac OS X 10.6.8 it was pre-installed. Later versions where published by oracle also for OS X and just 64-bit. Nevertheless some programmes require the old Apple-distributed version. It is not just docear also other apps, especially open source ones got the same problem, e.g. the version of eclipse IDE (Luna 4.4.1 IDE for Java Dev) I use.

I use the lastest docear on a MacBook Pro (end 2008) running OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite), Java 8 25.

I suggest one of these options:
1. Install what it wants, most things will still use the 8_25 Version. Apples name is Java for OS X 001 2014 I think.

2. Especially if you have more apps not running smoothly on Yosemite think about setting up an earlier OS X on an partition of your hard drive, I installed 10.6.8 (Snow leopard) which got Java pre-installed. You can access and run almost all apps of your other system on Yosemite. It makes some things way easier.

Hope that works for you guys..

sole
on: January 5, 2015, 21:53

Quote from woolz on January 5, 2015, 19:04
Got the same Java notice.
The thing is that apple had their own version of Java until Java 6 and until Mac OS X 10.6.8 it was pre-installed. Later versions where published by oracle also for OS X and just 64-bit. Nevertheless some programmes require the old Apple-distributed version. It is not just docear also other apps, especially open source ones got the same problem, e.g. the version of eclipse IDE (Luna 4.4.1 IDE for Java Dev) I use.

I use the lastest docear on a MacBook Pro (end 2008) running OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite), Java 8 25.

I suggest one of these options:
1. Install what it wants, most things will still use the 8_25 Version. Apples name is Java for OS X 001 2014 I think.

2. Especially if you have more apps not running smoothly on Yosemite think about setting up an earlier OS X on an partition of your hard drive, I installed 10.6.8 (Snow leopard) which got Java pre-installed. You can access and run almost all apps of your other system on Yosemite. It makes some things way easier.

Hope that works for you guys..

HELLO AGAIN!
THANKS, THANKS and THANKS AGAIN!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
It works!!!!!
๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ™‚

buggaby
on: September 11, 2016, 06:35

I'm running El Capitan, and had the same notice, that I had to install the legacy version of Java 6. I had Java 8 already, but went ahead and installed Java 6. It doesn't get in the way of my other Java programs and it works perfectly. FYI I installed Docear from the Home Brew terminal instead of through the Docear website, and it handled all the details for me.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.33.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.105 seconds.