For students and researchers reference management probably is the most tiring task in their daily work-routine. They have to re-type and format bibliographic information again and again, for each paper, assignment or thesis. This is particularly annoying if you need to change citation styles. As a student this might happen because your supervisor changes his mind on his favorite citation style and researchers constantly need to adjust citation styles because almost every journal and conference has its own requirements (see picture). Some reference management tools, such as Endnote, offer Add-Ons for Microsoft Word for inserting and formation references directly within a Word document. However, users of reference management software relying on the BibTeX standard had no such add-ons (there only is BibTeX4Word which is a good tool but very difficult to use). Until now.
Today, just after we released the brand new Docear 1.0 Beta 6, we released Docear4Word 1.0. Docear4Word is an add-on for Microsoft Word (2003 and later) that allows you to insert references and bibliographies from BibTeX files to MS-Word documents. The great thing is that you don’t need to care about formatting. You can choose from 1,700+ citation styles (APA, MLA, Turabian, Harvard, IEEE, ACM, …).
All you have to do is selecting a reference from your BibTeX database, and Docear4Word is doing the work. Docear4Word works with any BibTeX database, not only the one from Docear. That means you can use Docear4Word with almost any reference manager (JabRef, Bibdesk, Biblioscape, Bibus, Citavi, …). Docear4Word is totally free to use, open source (GPL 2 or later) and based on the Citation Style Language (CSL), the same one that Zotero, Mendeley and Papers are using. There is currently only one major feature that Docear4Word is not supporting and that is footnotes.
Features of Docear4Word
- More than 1,700 citation styles available (APA, MLA, Turabian, Harvard, IEEE, ACM, …)
- Runs with Microsoft Word 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 (32Bit and 64Bit)
- Runs with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, … (32Bit and 64Bit)
- Comfortable search and filter function for entry selection
- Option to specify page numbers
- Full reference data is stored in the Word document (document remains usable without BibTeX file)
- Live update of bibliography when new reference is inserted (no refresh needed)
- Go through references (next/previous)
- Compatible with all BibTeX files
- Automatic selection of Docear’s currently active BibTeX file
- Based on the Citation Style Language (CSL), the same one that Zotero, Mendeley and Papers are using
- Send us your feature request
- Download Docear4Word
- Run docar4word_setup.exe
- Follow the instructions (when you are using Windows XP you might be ask to install the .NET framework. Please do so)
- Questions? Problems? Contact us!
More Information and Docear4Word Homepage
For more information on Docear4Word (e.g. how to use it), visit the official homepage http://www.docear.org/software/add-ons/docear4word/overview/ (we would also prefer if you link the official homepage and not this blog post if you are writing about Docear4Word e.g. in your own Blog).